Published on March 2nd, 2015 | by Tracey Lincoln0
Applications Now Open For Empire State Fellows Program 2015-2017
New York Governor Cuomo invites mid-career professionals interested in public service to apply to the Empire State Fellows Program. The Empire State Fellows Program is a full-time leadership training program that will prepare the next generation of talented professionals for careers as New York State policy-makers. The incoming class of Empire State Fellows will serve from September 2015 to September 2017, and receive an annual salary commensurate with experience, not to exceed $72,765, plus a generous benefits package. At the end of the fellowship, a performance review process will identify Empire State Fellows that will be given the opportunity to continue to serve as leaders in New York State government after completing the program.
Governor Cuomo will appoint each Empire State Fellow to work directly with a Commissioner, Deputy Commissioner, or other high-level policy maker. Work assignments will offer Empire State Fellows unparalleled experience collaborating with senior officials and participating in the policy-making process. While taking part in the work of government, Empire Fellows will participate in educational and professional development programs that will help them to serve as effective and ethical government leaders.
Applications for the Empire State Fellows Program are due Friday, April 10, 2015 by 11:59 p.m. The Empire State Fellows Program is designed to attract talented professionals with demonstrated leadership potential who want to refocus their careers on public service. Candidates will be selected on the basis of their academic and professional experience, demonstrated leadership potential, commitment to public service, communication skills, and creativity. Applicants who are members of groups underrepresented in policy-making roles in New York State government, which include but are not limited to Black, Hispanic, Asian and Pacific Islander persons; women; persons with disabilities; and gay, lesbian, bisexual or transgender persons, are particularly encouraged to apply.
Applicants should possess the following qualifications: Professionalism
- Creativity and strong leadership potential
- Excellent analytical and evaluative skills
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills
- Excellent organizational skills, efficiency and flexibility
- Ability to establish priorities, plan, coordinate and monitor work
- Ability to work independently while also collaborating with a team
- Ability to identify issues, recognize best practices, formulate options and make recommendationsExperience:
- A minimum of three (3) years of full-time, professional work experience
- Demonstrated leadership potential
- Managerial experience is a plus
- Applicants may come from all professional backgroundsEducation:
- An advanced university degree (master’s degree, JD, PhD or equivalent) is desirable, but a candidate with only a Bachelor’s degree may be considered if he/she has substantial professional experience
- Applicants may come from all academic disciplines
Applications Now Open For Empire State Fellows Program 2015-2017 Additional requirements:
- Candidates must be United States Citizens
- Candidates must be available to work in Albany, New York throughout the two-year program (this is NOTnegotiable)
- Current New York State executive and legislative branch employees are ineligible for the Empire State FellowsProgramTo Apply:Applications must be received no later than Friday, April 10, 2015 at 11:59 p.m. All application documents must be emailed to email@example.com as Microsoft Word or PDF attachments. A complete application will include:
- Cover letter
- Professional Resume or CV
- Personal statement explaining your interest in the Empire State Fellows Program and why you should beselected (no more than two pages)
- Two letters of recommendation (Letters of recommendation should be sent directly from the recommender as PDF or Microsoft Word attachments and emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org with the applicant’s full name in the subject line.)
The application should consist of three emails: (1) an email from the applicant attaching the cover letter, resume, and personal statement in PDF or Microsoft Word format, (2) an email from recommender #1 attaching his/her recommendation letter in PDF or Microsoft Word format, and (3) an email from recommender #2 attaching his/her recommendation letter in PDF or Microsoft Word format. All three emails must be received before 11:59 p.m. on Friday, April 10, 2015. All three emails should have the applicant’s full name in the subject line.
Late or incomplete applications will not be accepted.
For additional information see: www.dos.ny.gov/newnyleaders